[Diy_efi] Thermal barrier coatings

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Jan 21 14:44:49 GMT 2003

Ohio Benz wrote:

> Tech Line Coatings sells a full range of ceramic, dry
> film lube and other coatings for temp barrier
> applications.
> I have applied the ceramic to piston tops and would
> recommend that you also do the combustion chambers and
> valve heads. BTW I applied this to forged pistons.
> The application seems simple enough, but proper
> cleaning, grit blasting and access to an industrial
> oven for 600F baking is required.
Acid etching saves time over grit blasting.
I cure coatings in home oven (after promising to clean it for the cook).
Coatings are extremely durable.  Local machine shop spent an hour trying
to remove home applied coating with steel shot.  The only way I was able
to successfully do the job was to use a new bag of black oxide sand and
150 psi at the sand blaster, keeping the tip about 1" away from the part
being blasted.
Shannen