[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 14:23:20 GMT 2003

The argument continues, see below, the first lines are my comments:

~~~~~~~~~~ Quoted ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> If you can get the charge air temp under boost below
> 40 degrees C on a GT4 you are doing well,  neither the
> methanol nor water will not condense out.

Water can exist in the liquid phase at temperatures up to several
hundred degrees if pressure is increased and sufficient water is
present to saturate the air. Simply concluding that air at 40C cannot
cause water to condense out is incorrect.

> Have you any idea what velocity it's moving at, as well?

Evaporation has little to do with flow velocity except where pressure
changes occur. One normally observes that fast airflow causes fast
evaporation (e.g. hair-dryer) because the airflow is normally
constantly being resupplied with lower humidity air. If you
constantly resupply the water too then you would observe that the
amount of liquid present can remain constant.

--
Best regards,
 Chris Wilson                           mailto:chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk
                                       http://www.formula3.freeserve.co.uk