[Diy_efi] alpha-n

Joe Lutz joeelutz at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:46:43 GMT 2003

alpha is throttle position.  n is engine speed.  Alpha-n means the engine is
mapped based on engine speed and throttle position instead of load <manifold
pressure> and engine speed like the speed density system.  The map sensor is
left open to atmosphere instead of being referenced to the manifold so that
it only is used to measure barometric pressure.  Generally the air temp
sensor is placed to measure ambient as well because the readings from the
map and air temp sensor are used by the ecm to do an ideal gas calculation
to find the density of the air so the readings need to be taken from the
same reference.  This is usually used on motorcycles and engines with low or
very transient manifold pressures.

Joe