[Diy_efi] Narrow band lambda sensor location

toby VERNON-SMITH toby at kmvs.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 23:35:37 GMT 2003

I've got a GReddy emanage piggy back ECU on a turbocharged 1.6 Mazda MX5
engine. So far I've just set it up using by 'feel' whilst getting bigger
injectors and the airflow metre sorted out. But now under curtain conditions
it feels like I'm getting a lean surge at cruse. I think the problem is that
I've got the narrow band lambda sensor mounted in the tubular exhaust
manifold before the turbo. Is it possible I've run the sensor past it
maximum operating temperature and damaged it? I've got to strip the exhaust
side down to fit new gaskets and weld a crack up so it's the perfect time to
move the sensor if it is badly placed.
To help my understanding of what's going on, can anybody tell me at what
point the ECU goes into closed loop running? Also, does the ECU have a
separate map for WOT from the normal open loom map? The throttle body only
has a simply WOT micro switch.

Many thanks! Toby