[Diy_efi] PC-laptop based efi

Matthew Richard Friesen mrf430 at mail.usask.ca
Sun Jul 6 14:08:50 GMT 2003

> Speed and timing may bring you undone. In order to read sensors, lookup
> tables, do calculations you will need a fast machine running a true real
> time operating system, especially if you are doing lookups and calcs every
> rev or every second rev. At 10,000RPM a rev takes about 6 milliseconds.

would injector pulse width lengths really need changing every 6 milliseconds?
I would think that the pulse width would be able to be updated every fraction
of a second, just often enough to prevent noticable throttle-lag.

>And have you car stop on the side of the road and have to reinstall your OS
>and software before you can get going again? ;)

I was thinking of probably using Win NT, or 2K, i have found it to be quite
stable, running for weeks or months at a time before needing a re-boot.

>Why not ,make a unit that just has a PC interface to program and monitor
>it, the unit runs it own microcode and is self contained and doesn't
>need the laptop to operate, only for changes, the code and inputs could
>be very basic.

I could do this, but it would be another step. I can run a PIC(really cheep
and fast) to control each injector, which will maintain a fuel delivery rate
unless the pc tells it to change. Also, i have access to PIC's, a PIC
programmer, and an older 486 notebook that is in need of a new life purpose. I
don't have motorolla microcontrollers, or 8051's etc.
thanks for all your comments. Keep them comming!
-Matt