[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Joe Lutz joeelutz at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 05:20:17 GMT 2003

I very seriously doubt that you will pull enough vacuum from an exhaust
venturi to cause boiling problems.  Unless you are running an open exhaust
it is quite possible that you will end up pressurizing the crankcase due to
exhaust backpressure.  Only time I've seen this done is in dragsters with
open collectors.  Now Winston Cup cars pull really strong vacuum in the
crankcase with the aid of multistage dry sump pumps.   Most people believe
the reason for most of the Hp gain is from improved ring seal and less
viscous drag on reciprocating components due to lowered density of the
crankcase gasses.   These factors do help, but the main reason is because
the vacuum helps to evacuate residual mass from the ring lands that would
otherwise dilute the fresh charge.  Oops, did I say that out loud?

Joe