[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 18:16:35 GMT 2003

--- Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com wrote:

> I don't see that my explanation of remote-res shocks
> was incorrect in any way. Non-efi related, yes. But
> my point was to relate pressure (positive or
> negative) to oil areation. You are right, there is
> no gas in the body of the shocks I use. But the
> pressure applied to the reservoir piston, in turn,
> places the oil under pressure to reduce areation.

I'm not sure how you keep missing this, but where does
the air comre from to "aerate" the oil in a remote
reservoir shock?  You just acknowledged that it is
sealed and contains no gas in the oil-filled area.

> Are you going to tell me that no bubbles can form
> without a gas present?

Not at the pressures and temperatures found in the
shock, no.  The whole point of the reservoir is
keeping the oil cool.  Gas-charged shocks without a
reservoir can experinece boiling under very heavy use,
but that's not "aeration".

> A "standard" shock has a sealed container that is
> partially filled with oil, and partially filled
> with something else (some form of gas).

> Is this not very similar to a crankcase?

No.  Crankcases are never sealed.

> My intention was to try to help clarify the question
> of pressure-areation relation. Not to argue about
> how shocks work.

Bummer.  You should have stuck to the subject at hand,
then.

>> Well, it did clear up where you got the idea that
>> removing gas molecules from the vicinity of a
>> liquid would cause MORE of those molecules to enter
>> the liquid.

> I never said anything of the sort that I recall.

That was the whole point of your post.  I think you're
confused about the term "aeration".

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |