[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Matt Porritt porrittm at anet.co.nz
Thu Jul 10 07:09:49 GMT 2003

On 10/7/03 6:22 PM Adam Wade wrote

> --- Matt Porritt <porrittm at anet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Not quite magic, but a vacuum gauge easily shows
>> there is vacuum.
>
> I suggest you test this teory at some point.

Like me to start one of the many vehicles here and photograph the vacuum
shown on gauge?

>>> Measured at the plenum?  If it's properly designed,
>>> it should barely register.
>
>> At idle it will register quite high actually
>
> Since a PCV line has to connect to the intake BEFORE
> the throttle, no, it will eseentially be
> indistinguishable from atmospheric.

Hang on a second.. 1 minute you're taking about no vacuum at the plenum ,
now PCV before the throttle?
Does it not matter which side the throttle is on the plenum?
Hmm.. I'm looking at a PCV line that connects AFTER the throttle here at the
moment.
On highly boosted cars, this is removed as the valves fail and 25psi+ into
the crankcase is not a desired result.
I'm also looking at a crankcase breather, BEFORE the throttle body, with no
PCV valve on it.

>> No I'm not suggesting car engines have completely
>> different sets of dynamics from car engines...????
>
> Well, you acknowledged my points were valid for
> motorcycles, but claim they aren't valid for cars.
> What is your explanation?
>
> On second thought, forget I asked.  Spend some time
> under the hood of a car and let me know what you come
> up with.

I never agreed you points were valid.. You brought 'Sports bikes' into the
equation (Sportsbikes like a Zephyr?? HA!)
Read what you wrote that I replied to.

I spend 10hours + a day under the hood of performance vehicles.. You seem to
have talked to someone at Harley Davidson.
Perhaps it is you that needs time under the hood.