[Diy_efi] Peak cylinder pressure timing

Hugh Keir hugh at sol.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 21:43:58 GMT 2003

Steve, Erik, Rod, Phil

If you can display the data out as degrees after top dead centre over
various RPM's, it will then be easy to add or subtract values from the
various ignition timing tables in your ECU for best performance. It sure
would be great for detonation warning as well.

I am sure it will be a bit of a moving target as you play with air fuel
ratio to maximise cylinder pressure at your assumed 14° or so after TDC and
the changing air fuel ratio ( weaker is I believe slower to ignite ) alters
the speed of combustion.

To go closed loop on the spark timing is more advanced than any of the
current breed of available ECU's can cope with, although I believe Autronic
are playing with the idea of offering this function on their next generation
ECU.

I believe you are correct in your assumption on how to calculate torque
although the pressure deteriorates rapidly and it must be linked to the area
under the curve.

Hugh