[Diy_efi] new EFI controller

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 01:02:35 GMT 2003

> Just down loaded the specs
>
> Headlines
> 1M byte of internal FLASH memory (divided into two blocks of 512K bytes)
> 36K bytes Static RAM
> Three time processor units (TPU3)
> A 22-timer channel modular I/O system (MIOS14)
> Three TouCAN modules
> Two enhanced queued analog system with analog multiplexors (AMUX) for 40
> total analog channels. These modules are configured so each module can
> access all 40 of the analog inputs to the part.
> Two queued serial multi-channel modules, each of which contains a queued
> serial peripheral interface (QSPI) and two serial controller interfaces
> (SCI/UART)
> A J1850 (DLCMD2) communications module
> 90 MIPS (remember a moto mip is usually worth 2 intel mips)
>
> The 3 TPUs plus 22 channel timer is the real power.

I would actually have to say that a large share of the power lies in the
40channel ADC scheme.  Absolutely great thinking...

Also: just as response.
This is not going to be designed on a per person kind of thing.  It will be
designed such that it takes care of the critical elements, and some of the
hi-tech stuff that's mostly stuck in research (ala ION sense).  It will not
be "Hey can I get a light to flash above 2000rpm?" if you want that kind of
functionality you will have to program it in (or find someone to program it
for you), it's really that simple.

I'm of the opinion that the complexity of such an engine controller is far
above using a straight procedural programming approach, and so I think that
a RTOS (Real Time Operating System) should be utilised to provide access to
the processing power available, this will hopefully make programming small
items (like shift lights etc) as simple as programming a PIC chip (maybe
even easier with the use of C).

I'll check up on whether I can easily get some web space so that a central
repository for ideas can be setup :)
I'm not sure exactly what (hardware)development environment would be best to
use.  I've got the most familiarity with Protel99SE, however I'm sure others
have other favourites.  Ideas about this would be good as well.