[Diy_efi] Typical boosted ignition timings

Marc Reviel marc at powerlogix.com
Fri Mar 21 16:11:42 GMT 2003

>Hi Marc,
>

>Could you describe a little more the engine:
>What EFI did you use ?

MoTeC M800 with Dual wideband O2. The heads are twin plugged and use
12 individual coils for each plug.

>What did you modify in engine bottom ?

Not really (didn't need it).  Just micropolished the crank,
microbalanced/shotpeened the factory forged rods, ARP bolts,
boattailed the case halves.

>Does your engine have Variocam and do you use it ?

No VarioCam.  I did have the heads 'NiRisisted'.  This is where rings
are machined into the heads and cylinder where they interlock for a
gas-tight seal. This eliminated any head gasket failures due to
head-lifting under high boost.

>What pistons do you use ?

Use stock set of new factory Mahle pistons, cylinders and rings.  7.5:1 CR

Basically took what Porsche produced in '94 on this Turbo, and added
major enhancements. Massive porting/polishing of the heads to 42mm
intakes, used cams from later factory racing Porsche GT2's.  Really
efficient combination: generated 581hp at 0.85 bar.

  I also used a Porsche factory Cup race car clutch and single-mass
flywheel (saved 18.5 lbs off flywheel/clutch assembly!).

>Thank you,
>Alexei
>

>marc at powerlogix.com wrote:
>>
>>  Based on a 1994 Porsche 3.6L Turbo engine/car.  Lots of head and
>>  manifold work (converted from CIS to EFI), GT2 cams.
>>
>>  Yes, 19 degrees is what some others have said, too.  581hp was run
>>  with Lambda set at 0.90.

Marc J. Reviel

Director of Engineering/CTO
PowerLogix