[Diy_efi] Final tuning and adjustment for conversion

Roland L Maynard fjdog at lycos.com
Wed May 7 15:39:00 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I wanted to tap the collective knowledge to solve some troubles that I am having with a recent fuel injection conversion I did.

For background, I put a tbi fuel injection system from an automatic 1.3 L 1993 suzuki swift on my suzuki samurai 1.3 (5 speed). For the conversion, I used all of the swift parts except for the fuel filter (off of an early fuel injected nissan, because it had straight connectiions) and the distributor. For that I used the stock distributor that I modified by removing the module, but wiring the existing crank angle sensor to generate the signal for the PCM. I also disabled all of the advance mechanisms in the stock distributor since the swift distributor does not have these. I set the crank angle sensor to be located at tdc. This engine still has the stock cam, but the bore, stroke and compression are the same as the swift. Not sure if the cam is different,  but suspect it is.

Anyhow, now to the troubles I am having...

1. The first problem is that when the timing is set properly, the engine idles high for about 5 seconds (at 1600 rpm) and then drops to the specified 800 rpm after that.

2. Next, the engine lacks power at speed. It is impossible to maintain 65 mph with any sort of grade or headwind.  I can get it up to 65 mph with the pedal to the floor on level ground with no wind. Also, engine seems to lack power below 2500 to 3000 RPM compared to the old carb.

3. The check engine light comes on for brief periods when traveling at a constant 55 mph. As soon as I wiggle the throttle pedal (either increase or decrease) it goes away.  This condition is worse (ie happens more frequently) if the headlights are on. The PCM stores trouble code 13 (o2 sensor).

Anyway, I would really appreciate any suggestions that you may have for resolving these issues. Thanks,

Roland