[Diy_efi] nitrous delivery via Megasquirt?

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Fri May 16 09:38:39 GMT 2003

Yes that is the one, and yes you are quite right anyone can build any thing for
their own use whether patented or not. Some of the novel features include NO2
vs. TPS, NO2 vs. RPM, NO2 vs. slip, NO2 vs. knock.. Think of it as an alpha N
fueling system for nitrous and enrichment fuel. Unfortunately two or three
things happened with it. One I have a partner, he thinks it is worth way more
than it is... Two the cost was more than the traffic would bear at the time of
invention. Three the targeted racers that might of bought it had rules changed
as to the number of solenoids allowed. The only way this system will really work
correctly is with a solenoid per cylinder. It keeps the nitrous as close to a
pure liquid as possible as there is no line between the solenoid and injector
for it warm up and turn to gas.. With this setup and a nitrogen backup I can
empty a 10lb bottle in abut 10 seconds or have it take 30 minutes.. The real key
is to adjust the amount of nitrous so that you are extending the power range
rather than driving over your crankshaft at peak torque.. I am sure my patent
guy would say that I have said too much but what he heck.. I was working with
Scott Shafirof or Pro Mod engine building fame at the time on some other
projects and I dreamed this up and got it patented. And yes it works.. As a side
note the first controller was analog and worked very nicely I might add.
Programing was problematic as was drift, it then went digital based on the C166
Siemens part.

The only thing that would hurt my position on this matter is that if they
started poping up everywhere as home built sooner or later someone will start
making them and selling them and then my partner will want to go to court.. and
it gets ugly from there.. It is on the list of things to do to release them in
some form now that the cost to build them has come way down from the costs in
the 90's...
Dave