[Diy_efi] Turbo compressor selection, do we do it wrong?

andrius tiknius atiknius at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 13:01:31 GMT 2003

Helo,
im facing similar problems now, but I dont see em so
big - all depends what range of rpm u go for - higher
rpm(drag) - bigger turbo, lower rpm power(cornering) -
smaller or twins.I believe(without proper research)
that backpresure mostly depends on exhaust
design.Smaller pipes means bigger velocity and gas
inertia, so it restricts backpressure if proper lenght
and does not depend on turbo speed that much as on
turbo camera space and design.
Anyway if you go for over 600 hp, what dyno says, you
have to consult somebody who is realy experienced.I do
not go over 300,and also my projects are mosttly
budged, so my knowledge is mostly empirical.Regards
Andrew

http://www.moreboost.org/graphics/turbos/SP74_SH1.jpg