[Diy_efi] Advice needed! Motronic or mirocontroller?

Marcus mhaggers at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 08:40:06 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm new to the world of efi and am currently thinking about turbocharging a BMW M70 engine that
runs Motronic DME 1.2 or 1.7. I have two ideas to control the new fuel requirements. Both include
larger injectors,increasing the fuel pressure and fitting a larger flow rate hot wire air flow
meter. Then i need to modify the injector timing and have thought of two ways that this can be
done.

Modify the fuel map on the eprom to get the required fueling. (plus i can also modify the ignition
map) Does anyone have any knowledge or .bin files. How hard will this to a newcomer? I have an
general engineering degree but have never used eproms before.

or

I can install a microcontroller along with an ADC and DAC, inbetween the new hot wire AFM and the
ECU. This can then map the the new readings to corrispond with the old readings. For example: The
new AFM will give a lower voltage reading compared to the old, but this may still be to high once
the larger injectors and increased fuel pressure have been fitted. The microcontroller could then
be used to reduce the AFM sensor output (as seen by the ECU) even lower to compensate.

Could i please get feedback on these ideas as to if they are workable, which idea seems better? I
like the idea of modifying the eprom but i am put off by how hard this may be.

Cheers,

Marcus