[Diy_efi] o2 sensor Q

Alexis PAVLOV alexis.pavlov at st.com
Mon Apr 5 09:00:52 GMT 2004

Hi,

kenowski at uwm.edu wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that pretty much all older (1
> wire) o2 sensors function about the same, rite? reason I ask is b/c I've heard
> of people buying a cheaper o2 to replace thier (sometimes very costly) o.e.
> unit, just swappin' the connector... for example: some say I can buy a $40
> bosch one for a '90 mustang (I'll guess & say same p/n 4 a 3.8 or the 5.0L), do
>
> a little soldering, and it works the same as the $130 bosch piece for my car -
>  '83 528e W/ motronic... you guys seem to be very knowledgable, so can anyone
> tell me why (or why not?!?) this works; or what unforseen elements underline
> the cost difference?

If you look at Bosch lambda specs you'll see that all sensors have the
same electrical/temperature specs, but different packages. There are
heated
(3 or 4 wires) and not heated (1-2 wires) sensors. Cable length may
greatly
change the price. Of course this is only true for near band sensors,
like the one you have on your BMW. Wide band Bosch sensors are
referenced
LSU or LSM.
I use the sensor I can find, not the one initially used on the car, and
it works fine.