[Diy_efi] injector advance

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 18:53:53 GMT 2004

--- Gary <gas- at charter.net> wrote:

>> It depends on the number of cylinders you have, as
>> fewer cylinders means a higher rev "limit" before
>> performance becomes the same in all circumstances.

> Maybe me, but I fail to understand this
> statement/reasoning.   Please elaborate.

Injector timing becomes less critical as revs rise,
due to the decreasing window for "perfect" injector
timing and limits based on the fuel pressure and flow
rate of the injector, as well as improved fuel
vaporization at higher revs, and less heat loss from
the compressed mixture to the combustion chamber
walls.

The more cylinders you have, the more injector events
you have in batch fire mode.  While you may have to
run richer using batch fire, and idle quality will be
reduced, you're more likely to get more of the fuel
you want into each cylinder when you have more
discrete injector events per 720 degree engine cycle
at low engine speeds.

So, it would be more difficult to get a reliable and
consistent mixture with fewer cylinders in batch fire
mode, and thus the crossover point where batch and
sequential have no practical difference in terms of
power and drivability will occur at a higher engine
speed as you have fewer cylinders.