[Diy_efi] injector advance

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 7 02:41:01 GMT 2004

At 4:18 PM 8/6/04, Gary wrote:

>:shrug:  Maybe so, in engineering discussions, but enuf to be concerned
>with in the real world?  Is it measureable in the practical sense?  Again
>mute, not able to get around that in an actual application, with the fuel
>spraying at closed valve, a necessity under high load, high rpm conditions.

NO, it's NOT a necessity if air atomization is used.

>I prefer concentrating one issues I have more control over.

I don't much care what you want to concentrate on, was simply pointing out
the facts.

 If not, I
>personally
>consider it engineering dribble.

Don't much care what you consider it, either.

>While info of this nature makes for
>interesting reading (ie educational in some way), if I am unable to apply it
>with some practicality, it is not a matter of concern here, considering
>original subject matter.

Not your call.

>> The fact that properly TUNED IR carbys (Webers, et al) will yield lower
>> full power bsfc than conventional port injectors at WOT pretty  much
>> proves the point.
>>

>Proves little.

It proves the POINT, that internal cooling during the compression stroke is
useful. When you graduate to a modocum of understanding of how alky fuels
and/or water injection work, the point becomes even MORE significant !!

  Yes, the webers atomize fuel very well.

Hey--you got that one right !! Five minutes off of your detention time !!

  However, I consider
>that misleading in discussion that compares to fuel injectors.

Again, what you 'consider' things to be don't much matter !!

  The improved
>BSFC also benefits from the 'TUNED' intake tract as well.

It would seem that your next lesson needs to be on the difference between
VE and BSFC !!!

  I consider it
>misleading to reward the resulting gain completely to the atomization.

I don't waste my keystrokes trying to mis-lead here. Again, it's pretty
hard to give a shiite what you 'consider'.

There are race engines with
>BSFC in the mid 3s, and they don't use fuel injection, or webers, FTM.
>While their carbs are state of the art, alot of attention went into design
>and flogging of the intake manifold.

So--big deal--they were after better VE AND better BSFC !!! Not to mention
that compression in the 13 to 16 range can have a pretty salutary effect on
BSFC  AND VE !!!

 I referenced the archived
>thread, because the original post (in that thread) inquired about injector
>timing, with pertinent on topic discussion resulting.  I considered that to
>be helpful to thread originator here.  You know, something relevant.

As I recall, I participated fairly heavily in that thread, as well as other
similar ones before it. All I was trying to do was synopsize it, diched !!

Butt out !!

Greg