[Diy_efi] injector advance

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai at xperts.cl
Mon Aug 9 22:57:16 GMT 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 15:50, Adam Wade wrote:
> --- "Tomas J. Sokorai Sch." <tsokorai at xperts.cl>
>
> wrote:
> > The key for economy is not the GDI itself, but the
> > possibility of stratified charge fueling strategies
> > that GDI enables.
>
> It is possible to do stratified charge without GDI,
> although GDI makes it much more flexible and able to
> be used over a wider range of the engine speed/load
> matrix.
>
> And when factoring economy, you have to consider cost
> to manufacture, cost to consumer, warranty costs, and
> repair costs over the life of the vehicle, unless you
> were strictly speaking of FUEL economy.  :)

Sorry.... FUEL :)
Checking the papers of the Bosch Motronic MED 7, the complexity added for the
stratified charge suggests that all other costs besides the fuel costs get
higher :D
Bosch says it's "up to 15%" (but in german ;) more fuel economy in a
comparable engine with port injection.
But I guess that's only comparing the fuel consumption in the region of RPM
and load that the GDI engines mantains stratified charge strategy or maybe up
to the lean-homogen strategy, but in high RPM or load the system goes into
the old homogen charge system, and there goes the economy. Add to that the
restriction on the intake that makes the diverter valve system and you don't
even have the best power available .....

Anoyone has hard fact data of *comparable* engines with port v/s GDI that's
based on independent tests with real-world loads (not manufacturer...) ?

--
Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.