[Diy_efi] GM TBI electrical details

Charles McDowell charles at taildragger.info
Wed Dec 15 13:55:24 GMT 2004

I'm working on getting started on my DIY-EFI project and I'd like to =
learn
more electrical interface detail.  Can someone explain, or point me to a
source of info about the injectors and the IAC on a GM TBI?  For the
injectors, I believe that I feed 5V to one connection and then ground =
the
other to fire the injector?  If this is correct, can someone tell me for
sure how much current I will need to sink when I make that ground?

For the IAC, I need to start from the very basics.  Maybe there's some
reference material available on-line someplace?  A useful start would be =
if
someone could give me a real basic functional description of the 4
connections to the IAC.  Can I control it directly from my processor, or =
do
people usually use some sort of stepper interface chip?  I'd like to =
avoid
extra hardware like that if possible.

I plan to use TPS, CTS, O2 and MAP for my sensors (maybe I'll add VSS
later).  I think these all work by applying 5V and seeing how much =
voltage
you read back.  TPS would be 0-5V =3D 0-100% I assume.  MAP would be the =
same
except 0-1 bar (or 1-0 bar?).  How about CTS, what's the range in F or C =
vs.
voltage?  Also, do these sensors pull any significant current?

Oh yeah, ignition module: What do the pulses look like electrically from =
the
module?  Is the pulse width relevant, or just the edge?  How is external =
the module) spark control enabled/disabled (there's the connector that =
you
open to disable, is that grounding the module connection or applying +
voltage?).  What electrical characteristics is the module expecting for =
the
spark control pulses sent to it?  Again, is the pulse width important, =
or
just the edge timing? =20

Thanks for any info or links you can provide.