[Diy_efi] 1993 TPI Swap

Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at comcast.net
Fri Dec 31 03:17:10 GMT 2004

> A friend of mine has asked me to help replace the TBI on his 1993 Impala
> automatic wagon with a TPI. Most of my knowledge is about older stuff.
> Does anyone know of showstoppers for this project or hints to make
> things easier? My list of big things to change starts with raising the
> fuel pressure.

There are a few items worth noting, but none are showstoppers.

1 - The distributor found in the B-cars from 91-3 is unique.  The
distributor
hole in the intake manifold is larger on these cars only AND the shaft is
shorter,
allowing the distributor to be removed from deep under the firewall and cowl
without having to pull the intake.  As a result, you'll need to bore the
opening
in the L98 lower intake out a bit to match.  You could also use a similar
distributor from another application (F-car or truck for example), but then
removal and installation becomes a hassle.

2 - Fuel pressure is no big deal.  Just drop the tank and swap to a higher
pressure pump.  The stock pump from a '94-6 LT1 powered B-car will
do fine, or you can spend a couple extra bucks and use the Walbro
F20000169 255 lph pump.  Both are basically drop-ins.

3 - Suggested ECM is a '730.  The existing harness can be easily repinned.
I have a fairly extensive pin swap guide that I put together when I
converted
my '91 Olds Custom Cruiser to a '730 to run my port injected 454 (L29).

4 - Now would also be an ideal time for an electric fan swap.  Grabbing
a complete setup from a '94-6 car would be the easiest way to go.

John Spears has a few pics of a conversion he did on a '92 on his site:

http://www.speartech.com/cc-1992tpi.html

-Scott