[Diy_efi] Rough idle at very cold temps (<32 degress F)

David M. Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Fri Feb 6 20:54:28 GMT 2004

Thanks to the great resources at the DIY-EFI and GMECM site and to John at
CustomEFIS, I have a "bin" largely tuned for my AMC 258 (Jeep Wrangler). My
system is a Howell kit (TBI, 1227747 ECU). The bin supplied by Howell had
problems (which I won't list here) and although Troy was very patient and
willing to help me, I decided it wasn't fair for him to have all the fun. So...

The VE tables and other parameters are well tuned, not perfect, but good. It
starts great at all temps, and runs great at luke warm to hot. But, at dead
cold idle, it coughs, sputters, and smells rich. What are your opinions on
which table(s) are best to tweak to help this cold (<32 degrees F) rough idle?

I considered the "choke" table, and open loop AFR table but I know there are
other tables which affect the cold open loop idle.

Any thoughts?

Bye,

David

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics and Engineering, Inc.
2469 Fort Union Boulevard, Suite 114
Salt Lake City, Ut 84121

dingebre at 3dphysics.net
(801) 733-5458