[Diy_efi] Rough idle at very cold temps (<32 degress F)

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 03:27:56 GMT 2004

--- "David M. Ingebretsen" <dingebre at 3dphysics.net>
wrote:

> But, at dead cold idle, it coughs, sputters, and
> smells rich.  What are your opinions on which
> table(s) are best to tweak to help this cold
> (<32 degrees F) rough idle?

Ignition timing.  You'll need more advance at very
cold temps to help fix your problem.  It takes a
longer burn time for the kernel to expand sufficiently
to cause reliable, power-producing combustion before
the piston has traveled very far down in the power
stroke.

Your system may have a separate ignition timing
control from the fueling ECU (I'm not familiar with
it, so I don't know), but I'd lay odds on ignition
timing fixing your problem.