[Diy_efi] Motronic checksum

glogovacs at yahoo.co.uk glogovacs at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 23:31:33 GMT 2004

I am trying to figure out how a checksum on older Motronic eproms is
formed. I am targeting last 2 bytes on 32kb eproms (actualy, it is last
24bits, since the highest 4 bit nibble is always 0000). I was lucky enough
to have access to eproms for the same car that only had a few different
locations, and of course the checksum.

I tried 8 bit sum, 16 bit sum... xor etc, but no success :(. I can also
post examples... Any help is welcome.

Also, can you suggest some good 8051 disassembler? I have d51, but it
produces much garbage - considering I am dummy for i8051. I was trying to
locate instruction that would access last two bytes of eprom, and I failed.
Where in address space is eprom located?

I am talking about boxes 0 261 200 087 (BMW), 0 261 200 185, 0 261 200 190
(Opel) and similar.

Nick