[Diy_efi] EFI for small 4 cyl ??

comcast r_n_dnoah at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 22:26:03 GMT 2004

--===============19134529896505748==

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C415A9.97AB51A0

I am wondering if anyone makes a kit -or- if it is possible to DIY =
cobble together an EFI system for the early Datsun 1200 series A engine =
?? I thought about just finding a system off of any Nissan and adapting =
it (that is- manifold drilling/machining for injectors and adding =
sensors). What I think bothers me, however, is that the 1200 engine is =
smaller than most current Nissan engines. Might be neat to put an =
"oversize" system on a future turbo application, but I am not going that =
route. I am actually looking at seeing if I can increase the mileage =
over the stock one barrel. I envision an engine that ought to be good =
for 45 mpg yet still have some pep.=20
Obviously I will also be having to go to totally data-driven electronic =
ignition as well, but those products are much more available.=20
I know that the "real" issue with EFI isn't so much the hardware but the =
software, especially considering that the engine has no history of =
anything but carburation to lean on. We're talking a low performance 2 =
valve per cylinder pushrod engine here (70-73). I am quite verbose in =
software and don't think that part will be all that scary provided that =
I can find a versatile EPROM setup that already has some sort of engine =
management software available, so that one really only ends up making =
fine tuning adjustments beyond hooking up the sensors and so forth.
I think that I am fairly surprised that there don't seem to be any =
companies that make kits for retrofitting older Datsun/Toyota..etc etc =
motors. Well, OK, I found ONE kit that can be fitted to a Toyota, with =
some work, but it was over $2000 ...hmmm... a bit much for a car that =
might cost $1000 used. Seems they are really trying to make the money on =
a lot of stuff I can make myself such as fuel 'bars' and so forth. All I =
really need is 4 injectors and the sensors and a totally programmable =
management unit. Pretty sure I can do the rest (I have access to lathe, =
shaper, drillpress, TIG welder, etc). Probably have to adapt a throttle =
body from the junkyard.=20
Anyway.. any comments ???

Thanks,
Rick

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C415A9.97AB51A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am wondering if anyone makes a kit =
-or- if it is=20
possible to DIY cobble together an EFI system for the early Datsun 1200 =
series A=20
engine ?? I thought about just finding a system off of any Nissan and =
adapting=20
it (that is- manifold&nbsp;drilling/machining for injectors and adding =
sensors).=20
What I think bothers me, however, is that&nbsp;the 1200 engine is =
smaller than=20
most current Nissan engines. Might be neat to put an "oversize" system =
on a=20
future turbo application, but I am not going that route. I am actually =
looking=20
at seeing if I can increase the mileage over the stock one barrel. I =
envision an=20
engine that ought to be good for 45 mpg yet still have some pep. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Obviously I will also be having to go =
to totally=20
data-driven electronic ignition as well, but those products are much =
more=20
available. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know that the "real" issue with EFI =
isn't so much=20
the hardware but the software, especially considering that the engine =
has no=20
history of anything but carburation to lean on. We're talking a low =
performance=20
2 valve per cylinder pushrod engine here (70-73). I am quite verbose in =
software=20
and don't think that part will be all that scary provided that I can =
find a=20
versatile EPROM setup that already has some sort of engine management =
software=20
available, so that one really only ends up making fine tuning =
adjustments beyond=20
hooking up the sensors and so forth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think that I am fairly surprised that =
there don't=20
seem to be any companies that make kits for retrofitting older=20
Datsun/Toyota..etc etc motors. Well, OK, I found ONE kit that can be =
fitted to a=20
Toyota, with some work, but it was over $2000 ...hmmm... a bit much for =
a car=20
that might cost $1000 used. Seems they are really trying to make the =
money on a=20
lot of stuff I can make myself such as fuel 'bars' and so forth. All I =
really=20
need is 4 injectors and the sensors and a totally programmable =
management unit.=20
Pretty sure I can do the rest (I have access to lathe, shaper, =
drillpress, TIG=20
welder, etc). Probably have to adapt a throttle body from the junkyard.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway.. any comments ???</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rick</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C415A9.97AB51A0--