[Diy_efi] EFI for small 4 cyl ??

frederic frederic at midimonkey.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 29 22:44:44 GMT 2004

> I am wondering if anyone makes a kit -or- if it is possible to DIY cobble together an EFI system for the early Datsun 1200 series A engine ?? I thought about just finding a system off of any Nissan and adapting it (that is- manifold drilling/machining for injectors and adding sensors). What I think bothers me, however, is that the 1200 engine is smaller than most current Nissan engines. Might be neat to put an "oversize" system on a future turbo application, but I am not going that route. I am actually looking at seeing if I can increase the mileage over the stock one barrel. I envision an engine that ought to be good for 45 mpg yet still have some pep.
> Obviously I will also be having to go to totally data-driven electronic ignition as well, but those products are much more available.

There are a lot of GM ECM's that might fit your needs, the 16153597 was
usually strapped to 90-92 Geo's and Isuzu's for a 1.6L engine, which is
fairly close to your Datsun engine give or take.  Might be a good starting
point.

Saturns came with a 1.9L 4cyl engine if your datsun has the A15 19?? cc
engine, in fact that probably would be configured correctly as far as
tables and data points, just mechanically strap it on.

Also, varis "Lemans" from 88 to... um... 92 or 93 had 1.6L engines as
well, so that ecm might work for you as well.  I don't recall the number
of the ECM, but its somewhere on the web.

The easiest way of grafting an ECM to your engine is to find one thats on
a GM car thats "darn close" in displacement and redline, then adjust the
injector size or the fuel pressure rail to compensate for .:MINOR:.
changes via "hardware".

Obviously using an ECM designed for a 2.5L engine on a 1.2L engine won't
even be close.