[Diy_efi] HALF SHAFTS (CV) AXLES

Bobby Yates Emory liberty1 at deltaforce.net
Tue Mar 30 07:35:22 GMT 2004

Raymond,

(I've never worked on a Probe - these ideas come from working on older
cars.)

Three thoughts:

1. The hub puller you want is made to work this way - push with the
center bolt.  You might have the wrong one.  The center bolt needs to be
about 3/4 inch.

2. Did he explain about the big hammer?  After you get the puller in
place and all bolts as tight as you dare, hit the center bolt with a big
hammer.  That is what breaks the spline alose.

3. If you think you will ever have to work on this again, I would put
anti-seize on the splines.  (I haven't tried this - I just like anti-seize.)

Good luck,
Bobby

Quoting RAYMOND CROSBY <rlcrosby34 at hotmail.com>:

> DIFFICULTY IN REMOVING THE SPLINED HUB END ON A 1995 FORD PROBE GT.
> DEALER
> SAID A HUB PULLER IN REVERSE (PUSHING WITH THE CENTER BOLT)  OR AN
> AIR
> CHISLE WITH A POINTED BIT NIETHER WORKED NOR DID THE TORCH!   ANY
> HISTORY OR
> ANY IDEAS OTHER THAN REMOVING ABS SENSOR AND UPPER SPINDLE TO STRUT
> BOLTS
> AND PULLING ENTIRE HUB WITH AXLE THEN USING A PRESS?

Toward Freedom,

Bobby Yates Emory