[Diy_efi] Slightly OT: Need help designing a circuit

Van Setten, Tim @ ACSSD tim.van.setten at L-3com.com
Wed Mar 31 16:48:22 GMT 2004

Adam
The problem is that you need to be measuring current in each leg of the
stator, not voltage.
The diodes will conduct at around 0.5V each, so unless a diode is bad, the
LED will never light.
There is no easy way to do this that I know of.....Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Wade [mailto:espresso_doppio at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:55 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Diy_efi] Slightly OT: Need help designing a circuit

Working on a small project, and was wondering if I
could impose upon the significant experience of the
list with circuit design.

I'm trying to develop a small, solid-state device that
will light a warning LED when one leg of a motorcycle
stator start to become weak.

The stator generates current in place of an
alternator.  Most motorcycles us a 3-leg stator,
making 3-phase AC between 8-80 V, then putting it
through 6 diodes to rectify it, and to then feed the
voltage regulator.

I am looking to take a tap off of each of the 3 legs,
and then to compare the AC voltages.  A difference of
more than 1 V between each leg would trigger the lamp.

Is there a quick and easy way to build such a thing?
It would have to handle the full range of stator
voltage.  Having the LED light when there was no
voltage would also be handy, so one could see that it
was operational at key-on.

Thanks to anyone who can help me, and responses
off-list are welcome (since this isn't really topical
to EFI).