[Diy_efi] Need help designing a circuit

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Wed Mar 31 23:34:24 GMT 2004

31 Mar 04  Adam Wade <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm trying to develop a small, solid-state device that
> will light a warning LED when one leg of a motorcycle
> stator start to become weak.

> The stator generates current in place of an
> alternator.  Most motorcycles us a 3-leg stator,
> making 3-phase AC between 8-80 V, then putting it
> through 6 diodes to rectify it, and to then feed the
> voltage regulator.

> I am looking to take a tap off of each of the 3 legs,
> and then to compare the AC voltages.  A difference of
> more than 1 V between each leg would trigger the lamp.
>
> Is there a quick and easy way to build such a thing?
> It would have to handle the full range of stator
> voltage.  Having the LED light when there was no
> voltage would also be handy, so one could see that it
> was operational at key-on.

If you can rectify the voltage off each phase to a representative
DC voltage, this isn't hard.  A comparator (LM239) can detect
when 2 voltages cross.  With 10V to power the '39, take a 1:15
voltage divider into an input, then take a 15:(1 X .85) or 17.65:1
divider into the other input of a comparator.  Maximum voltage
the comparator sees is 80/15 = 5.33V (must be well below the
'39 power).  If the voltage on the 15:1 drops below 85% of the
voltage on the 17.65:1, the comparator will change state.  Build
3 of these in a ring ('39 has 4 comparators), and you can pick
up any weak phase.

If one divider goes to a voltage instead of ground, you can make
a voltage difference detector (instead of percentage) with all
equal dividers.  Or make a combination of voltage and percentage.

Make the comparator output go low on fault; tie 4 comparator
outputs together (open collector) so any one can signal fault.
Use the 4th to detect no output before starting.

Bruce Roe