[Diy_efi] Re: check VSS

Robert W Hughes rwhughe at oplink.net
Thu Oct 7 19:04:28 GMT 2004

> How do I check a junkyard GM VSS to see if it's okay?  Can I go it
> with a voltmeter?
>
> I have a pair of them from mid '80s S-10 pickups, and I'd like to
> know if they work before crawling under the truck.
If these are the type that mount in the speedometer hole on the
tailshaft of the transmission and have a gear like a speedometer cable
on the shaft, just connect them to a pointer type meter
set to measure 10-20volts DC. Spin the gear by hand and the meter should
whip back and forth positive and negative. This type is a permanent
magnet generator producing about 10-12volts peak to peak.