[Diy_efi] VW Surge / Expansion Tank Line Routing

clair.davis at charter.net clair.davis at charter.net
Tue Oct 19 23:09:18 GMT 2004

I just got my hands on one of the little VW fuel accumulator or surge tank
things found in late-80's to early-90's Rabbits, Sciroccos, Foxes, etc.
Here's an image:

http://69.0.158.19/live/thumb/E100020955OES.JPG

After a little research, it appears that this is actually the fuel filter,
which agrees with a previous thread on this topic.  It APPEARS that the
"filter" is your typical fine nylon mesh that basically separates the tank
in to two separate areas.  My guess is that one area is fed by a supply pump
(low pressure) and also by the bypass/return from the pressure regulator.
There is also what I assume to be a tank return line on top of the filter
body connected to this area.  The other area has what I assume to be an
outlet, which is larger than the other 3 inlet/return lines.

My question: is this in fact how this thing is hooked up?  Does anyone have
a fuel line routing diagram for this little jewel?  Although it's pretty
small, I think this will probably satisfy my needs for a surge tank while
autoXing my Valiant.  If not, at least all my lines will be run and I can
just reconfigure to add volume.  The extra filter feature is just gravy,
since I'll have 2 in the system already.  Thoughts?

Clair Davis
69 Plymouth Valiant 7730
Fort Worth, TX