[Diy_efi] 96-97 vortec swap

J Creech jcreech1 at olemac.net
Thu Sep 9 21:40:11 GMT 2004

>> I am planning to swap a 1997 Vortec 5.7 with a obdII 16229684
>> Computer into an old Suburban.  I'm looking for possible ways
>> to get around the Evap system OBD II tests in the drive
>> cycle.  Here is what I have so far:

>Why don't you keep the evap system intact?  I'm putting a '98 vortec into my old Monte Carlo and
that's the plan >so far.  There's a pressure sensor on the gas tank that you'll need, plus the lines
and cannister itself.

>--steve

My thinking exactly. Evap canisters don't do anything but keep the air you breathe cleaner. It
removes the "downtime" emissions - the pollution your car emits while just sitting in your driveway.
Doesn't weigh all that much, can be mounted darn near anyplace, and takes absolutely NOTHING away
from the output of the engine.

-Scott C.