[Diy_efi] 96-97 vortec swap

Karl Walter krw at efn.org
Fri Sep 10 17:42:37 GMT 2004

Yes, it had a 4l60e transmission, and it may be confused.  I found a guy
here who has an old toyota pickup with a 4.3 v6 vortec from an astro van,
1997, and he just left everything off, no vss, no trans connections, no
downstream o2 sensors, no cannister, no evap pump, just the bare basics for
the engine to run.  His solution: no mil light.  It actually runs pretty
good, but I don't know if it is in limp mode or not. I may talk him into
bringing it so I can put it on the OBDII scanner and see if it's in closed
loop.  I guss it would be a possibility to do my swap that way, and keep one
of those $50.00 scanners in the glove box, if it starts running wierd.

If I use a '7730 computer, It would be a lot nicer, and have the advantage
of being able to easily recalibrate the chip.  I already have a 7730 with a
zif socket I use for the initial tuning.

--Karl