[Diy_efi] RE: [offlist] Strain gauge on engine mounts

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Wed Apr 20 23:20:49 UTC 2005

Marc,

I think the original thought of the toothed wheel with inductive sensors
will be the most durable and less hardware intensive than going optical.
Mounting the stationary sensors will be an issue regardless of optical or
inductive sensors.  Ideally if the sensors could be mounted on the bearing
housing then only the bearing tolerances would be an issue.

If you had a 2-channel O-scope hooked up to both sensors you would easily
see the wave forms shift apart as torque was applied.  I'm sure there are
circuits out there that can create a difference signal based on the phase
difference.  Then you just relate the difference signal to specific torque
values.

A quick Google for "torque sensor toothed wheel"

http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2002MAY/2002MAY08_AMD_MSD_DA_AN02.PDF

http://www.gmtcny.com/eps.htm

Google "phase difference error signal"

http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/35-05/AD8302/