[Diy_efi] TurboCad, mech dwgs from ppl on this group ?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 7 02:49:11 UTC 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 02:49, dh at busb.com wrote:
> My experience is that the interface to Autocad is much better for
> precision work where the input would be by keyboard instead of  mouse.

I'm puzzled why you then ask where one might get an evaluation
licence? :-)

> Three diminisional work is much simpler in Autocad, once you understand
> the principals of data entry in the Acad system.

AutoCAD is quite 1980's in that respect. :-)

But unlike lots of 1980's software, AutoCAD no longer runs on
anything approximating Unix.

VariCAD also has text command input available, but it's not
necessary even for precision work because dimensions are best
entered (IMNSHO) as text. I'm not using the very latest version of
VariCAD as yet so I don't know exactly what features that I
requested, have been included.

I missed toleranced dimensions and being able to define "beams" for
analysis directly from the drawn object.

> Autocad light is not a 3-D system.  So thousands are required for
> Acad in 3-D.  Own an older version.

> So, Bernd, where might one get a copy of VCAD for evaluation -
> especially a L copy?

http://www.varicad.como

Click on the word "Download" below "Free Trial Version".

You get an evaluation licence automatically for 15 days.  They will
extend the evaluation licence for a further 15 days if you register
on their web site.

It took me 3 weekends to evaluate the product.

The cost of a full licence is quite reasonable. Especially when
compared to AutoCAD.