[Diy_efi] Intro

hugh at sol.co.uk hugh at sol.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 07:48:53 UTC 2005

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Ian Molton spyro at f2s=2Ecom
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:59:12 +0100
To: diy=5Fefi at diy-efi=2Eorg
Subject: [Diy=5Fefi] Intro

Hey guys :)

Well I'm not one to leave well alone - if it aint broke, fix it 'till it=20=

is, right=3F

I've bought a Daihatsu Charade CX 1=2E0 Turbo diesel 3 cylinder=2E

This car has NOTHING unusual under the hood=2E the engine has nothing more=
=20
than a temperature sensor ;-)

Well so far, I've almost rebuilt the car - the extensive rot at the rear=20=

has been replaced by shiny new plate, the rear wheelarches are both new=20=

panels, all is painted and undersealed=2E The front springs are both new,=20=

so are the rear brake lines, its got a complete new set of injector nozzle=
s=2E

So, now the cars roadworthy again, its time to fiddle=2E

I've already planned out the internal stuff - a PC in the radio slot=20
(already being built) and a whole load of USB bits and bobs including 2=20=

cameras, usb audio, memory stick for storage, wifi, bt, DVB, GPS, etc=2E

The audio will be a pair of gutted and rehoused labtec 385s (cheap,=20
sounds good)

lastly, and what brought me here=2E=2E=2E

Im planning to build an EMU, also a USB device=2E

I've got a couple of EZ-USB chips, which will do for the computer side=20
of things, should be plenty fast enough=2E

I've already discovered a few things I can sense - MAP, turbo spindle=20
speed, Oxygen, inlet air temp, fuel flow (how=3F), RPM (already electronic=
=20
for the dash readout), among others=2E

what would be really awesome would be to convert the thing to common=20
rail, but its an indirect injection engine, so I question how possible=20
that might be

I assume knock sensors are pointless on diesels=3F

So, some of the first questions are going to be:

1) What sensors are available=3F
1a) - that have calibration data / tables available=3F
1b) - where from=3F
2) What sensors can be used on a diesel=3F
3) How do you fit them (ie=2E where - eg=2E how far down the exhaust=20
manifold should I stuff the oxy sensor)=3F
4) are any commmon circuits available to drive sensors=3F

=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F
Diy=5Fefi mailing list
Diy=5Fefi at diy-efi=2Eorg
http://lists=2Ediy-efi=2Eorg/mailman/listinfo/diy=5Fefi