[Gmecm] Cable question from newbie..

Anders Lindqvist a.linkan at telia.com
Fri Aug 19 20:50:55 UTC 2005

Hi Brian.
I´m new at this too, but i checked the instructions on some websites, and
made my own cable. It´s not too hard.
The thing is, and i qoute: "The ECM produces the data signal at either a 12
Volt or 5 volt level that must be inverted and converted to RS232. One
simple scheme is to feed the ALDL data into a single transistor level
converter that inverts the data to produce a pseudo RS232 level (varies
between 12 Volts and 0). This is connected to the receive data line of a
serial port to be processed by the PC's UART."
On some computers it is possible to use the DTR pin on the serial port as 12
Volt source, but since i think my cable will
outlast my laptop, I made mine with the cigarette power, and it works great.
Total cost: $10

Building instructions at:
http://web.telia.com/~u60113744/software/winaldl/winaldl.htm
Great monitoring prog there as well.