[Diy_efi] Fuel pump run time with key on

Mike niche at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 22 13:39:07 UTC 2005

At 06:13 PM 8/22/05, you wrote:
>I bow to your much more detailed knowledge.  I only have Jaguars, and it seems that the system you are describing is a whole order of magnitude more sophisticated than mine. But keeping rail pressure for hot starts is certainly how the factory-trained Jag experts explained it to me.

My system goes back to 1986 when I got the car, its a classic fuel
return system, nothing special really, just the pressure surge tank
was a bit of an addon - I tried it a few times without it and it seemed to be
OK, even when driving 900Kms north and 40deg C days... However I put it
back, just in case.

Common problem with my vintage car (!) is the high pressure fuel pump
losing efficiency and not holding pressure, leaking back slowly when ignition
off, putting an extra one way valve can help until the pump fails
altogether but generally not a good idea as it will shed brush material
and gum up the filter. Its amazing to see just how much carbon and
copper crud ends up in the fuel filter !

I'm thankful for Bosch describing the system so well back in 82, (last
century, I didnt really do much,  if it wasnt for them I'd be mute ;)

<chuckle>

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au