Gmecm [Gmecm] Idle problem

Robert W Hughes rwhughe at oplink.net
Mon Aug 22 18:03:02 UTC 2005

Another possibility if you are using a scan tool at all is that the ECU
when it sees 10K or a short on the sense line of the ALDL connector
(A&B) moves the idle to 1000rpm.

> Are you guys using a tach to see the RPM, or the ALDL data? Maybe the
> ALDL data actually says 750? I'm far from an expert, but there are
> things that could mess up the perceived RPM by the computer, like #
> cylinders.

>>> How is it that 750!=750? ... I have this problem too: I just did
>>> a swap from a carb to a 7747 ECM + TBI on a Ford 302, and the set
>>> the idles to about 850RPM (a bit bigger than stock cam), and I
>>> get about 1200 RPM no matter what I do too. The IAC speeds the
>>> thing up whenever I do something to lower it.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the P/N switch signal is in "N", and the ALDL data
>>> doesen't show any VSS pulses.
>>>
>>> The closed loop also kicks in at a temp much-much higher (about
>>> 85°C) than what the calibration says (35°C). Why these
>>> discrepancies?
>>>
>>> -- Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.

Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering
29:40.237N, 95:28.726W or perhaps 30:55.265N, 95:20.590W
Houston, Texas "The city with too much Oxygen"
rwhughe at oplink.net