[Diy_efi] Fuel pump run time with key on

Mike niche at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 23 09:55:23 UTC 2005

At 04:10 AM 8/23/05, you wrote:
>2 seconds doesn't cut it after its been sitting all night. It has to pump the air out of the lines first before there is any fuel pressure, so I need it on for about 10 seconds.  You can hear when its ready to fire from the fuel pump whine changing as pressure builds.

What air ? How does air get into the system, is the fuel return line
at the top of the tank, hence siphoning air back ? If the swirl pot outlet
is in the correct place at the bottom then no air will get in unless your
tank is always really empty... Os the fuel pressure regulator leaking
air back in when system depressurises ?

>Yes, im set on not dropping the gas tank again unless the pump dies.

Something is not right about the physical side. My ECU runs the pump
for 5 seconds during cranking, there is *no* way air can get into the
system even if the pump's inherent one way valve is faulty. The fuel
return is at the bottom of the tank therefore also cant get air back in...

>I haven't found any variables for the pump though, which is why I was asking if there is such a variable in any of the computers, so I know what to look for.

If the factory setting is 2sec then it should be fine assuming the mechanical
side is up to scratch, is it possible the fuel return has broken off inside the
tank so it can let air back in ?

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au