[Diy_efi] Wide band sensor, F1

Rob Weinstock weinstro
Wed Aug 24 15:31:55 UTC 2005

> >As I understand it from NTK, there are no problems using a WBO2 on
>diesels,
> >and to make things even nicer, the AFR for diesel is ~14.5.
>
>I presume this is for stoich, um then this must be part throttle,
>in that at full power it would run rich hence les than 14.5:1

Isn't one of the fundamentals of a diesel engine that AFR varies with load,
while a gasoline engine is designed to operate at constant AFR (excepting
certain points of enrichment or leaning)? There is no throttle plate
limiting air flow on a diesel.

IIRC, oxygen sensors are designed to accomodate the constant AFR assumption.
Even if you could get a wideband to work, you wouldn't be able to tell if
the engine were running relatively rich or lean.

Regards,

Rob