[Diy_efi] function generator for shutterwheel

Lee M. Lemoine llemoine
Wed Dec 28 02:30:22 UTC 2005

Right... the digital waveform sinusoidal wave...  (Doh!)  too bad i never
continued on with electronics engineering after high school :P   (i guess
fire fighting is more exciting)  Either way, the drill method works well,
esp. since audi 5 cylinders are readily available, and i believe the pickup
your looking for is on the distributor shaft just below the rotor.  if your
looking for a single speed, i reccomend a single zip tie around the trigger
of an old cordless drill which is connected to a constant 12v (regulated)
power supply.  Simply tighten it one click at a time until you get close to
where you need, and use a rheostat or resistors to bog the voltage down to
get it EXACTLY where you want it for testing.  Worked well for me, hope your
luck is the same.

We didn't have function generators in public school systems here in RI,
sorry i can't give you much from that end...

-LL

oh, btw:  happy new year!
On 12/27/05, Carter Shore <clshore at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Some function generators have an FM input, ie, output
> frequency is proportional to voltage. A properly
> shaped voltage (from a secondary function generator)
> will create the waveform you are looking for.
> An alternative is to create the digital waveform you
> seek, (ie, a sequence of 35 50% duty cycle pulses,
> followed by a missing pulse, repeat, repeat, ...). Run
> this signal through a low-pass filter to get a quasi
> sinusoidal wave. But your range of frquency will be
> somewhat limited, and amplitude may vary quite a lot.
> Brute force method is to chuck up the toothed wheel
> into a variable speed drill or lathe, and use the
> stock pickup.
>
> Carter
>
> --- Phil <philhunt at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I want to drive a VW management system on a benchtop
> > mockup for testing and development purposes. I need
> > a function generator that mimics the crank senser:
> > i.e: a sine wave of 30 or so cycles (haven't counted
> > the teeth yet) punctuated by a missing point. I'll
> > need to be able to change the frequecy to mimic rpm.
> > I already have a function generator-is there some
> > kind of simple circuit I could process it's poutput
> > with? Phil, Phil's Foreign Car, Kenvil, NJ USA  973
> > 584 0161>

Sincerely,

Lee M. Lemoine
http://www.turbochargedsoul.com/