[Diy_efi] OT : mounting fastners

Jim Butterfield jimbutterfield
Fri Dec 30 04:45:42 UTC 2005

Ok, this is the second post... I do intend to use  these holes to mount the console  firmly to the floor board... so  I dont want to fill them, but rather put an insert in them... Im  familar with the pop rivet insert threads that you all speak of...  didnt know how big them came.... I will have to find a supplier, as to  the 2 I talked to today were quite shocked as to what I wanted... "I do  know" was the common answer...

  I thank you all for your suggestions

  jim

Ernest Buckler <ebuckler at icehouse.net> wrote:          @font-face {   font-family: Tahoma;  }  @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }  P.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  LI.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  DIV.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  A:link {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlink {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  A:visited {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.EmailStyle19 {   COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial  }  DIV.Section1 {   page: Section1  }

        ?? mounting hole     should be about a 3/8? rivnut. Readily available and not too difficult to     install. My standard Rivnut tool goes to 3/8

    Big     Jim

    Thanks, Jim, had no     idea.  Had never seen Rivnuts over 5/16, and a hand-operated setter was a     real pisser to pull at that size.

    The question still     remains about what the original writer intends to do with these holes - fill     them to block them off, or use them to mt the console he briefly     mentions.  If there's no access to the outside, what's the problem     anyway, eh?

    Ernie

        Top reply:     Depends on what you want to do with these holes?  Merely plug them up for     water reasons?  Or attach something in those locations?  Rivnuts in     1/2" size are gonna be rare and hard to install.  Epoxy sounds like the     best cheap answer so far.

        Ernie

            Hello all, got a question about mounting to the       floor pan. Ive a new console to mount to the floor of the car... there are 2       holes - 1/2" diameter already in the floor pan does anyone know a way to put       a fastner in there without getting to the back side... its kind of a pocket       in the body floor.

Diy_efi mailing     list
Diy_efi at diy-efi.org