[Diy_efi] Re: diy_efi Digest, Vol 17, Issue 15

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Tue Feb 15 00:20:10 GMT 2005

Marcello,
    Quite frankly, it looks horrible! - That being said however, if it
was, in reality, that horrible, I believe that it simply would not work,
since it appears to never reach a logic '0' level - ergo there must be
something strange about the way it is being captured or where it is
being captured!
    It has the appearance that when you probe the OE line that the probe
may be shorting to another track/wire/pin which has a pull up to 5V
which is about as strong as the pull down of the driving chip  ----
thus 2V5..... or shorting two outputs together -  with them fighting
each other - one trying to pull it down and the other trying to pull it up

    Without being able see, and to get my hands on to the item and probe
around that is difficult to diagnose, - not impossible, but difficult -

    However, while this looks bad on the CRO it appears to run OK in
practise - correct? As I understand it your only real problem is the
switch over,------ therefore I conclude that it is most likely something
to do with the probing.

One other thought occurs - The chip you are probing the OE on - Are you
sure that this is the active chip at the time, or is it the inactive
chip? - With the probe connected try switching chips......its worth a
try....

Good Luck
Bill