[Diy_efi] Can anyone diagnose this engine problem?

joeld joeld at ualberta.ca
Tue Feb 22 03:05:24 GMT 2005

Ok, been trying to figure this out for far too long. Maybe someone on here can
provide some insight.

What we've got:
-polaris 600cc 2-stroke 2 cylinder snowmobile engine bottom end
-our own billet cylinders and head
-injectors in the cylinder walls
-running a motec M4
-centrifugal supercharger
-45psi fuel pressure
-88pound/hour injectors

What its doing:
It will rev up and idle perfect, right to 4500rpm or so and then it surges, as
can be seen in this video http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=100_0008 . When
it is surging, I am holding the throttle steady.

We've tried timing, all sorts of fuel map changes, fuel pressure, 3 different
crank sensors (2 magnetic and one optical), adding fuel with a squirt bottle
right at the supercharger, running without the supercharger. Nothing changes
at all. We are totally stumped. Its not the rev limiter, we've ruled that out
as we have it set at 18,000 and it sounds different when it cuts in. Even the
motec guys have no answers yet. Does anyone here have any ideas? This is a
university SAE project and we have to go to competition in 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Joel Day
4th Yr. B.Sc. Min Eng
2004 C.S.C. Project Coordinator