[Diy_efi] Question on Knock Sensors

don.broadus at exeloncorp.com don.broadus at exeloncorp.com
Tue Feb 22 17:10:51 GMT 2005

It was cool to see it on the scope. It would zero in on the 6Khz sweet =
spot
and get a big boost
in amplitude. With the det module 5 Khz and 7 khz would be a blip low =
then
high but at 6 khz the output would stay low. I found a blurb on the GN =
turbo
page  "In the case of the turbo regals of the right characteristics is
chosen, generally one whose resonant freq is compatible with the center =
freq
of that engines knock. In the case of the turbo Regals, a 6 Khz sensor =
is
used."
I also found 1981/82 C-K-G truck info "The vibration caused by =
detonation is
generally in a narrow freq range near 6000 Hz. In that range , its =
amplitude
is greater than that found when the engine is not detonating. This info
basically confirmed my data. I know it doesn't make sense that all =
sensors
and all det. modules operate at the same 6Khz, but that's how the data =
came
out. When I got the HP 3324A dialed up to 6khz on the driver det. =
sensor you
can hear  an audible noise,indicating  resonance. I do not have any of =
the
early 4 pole filter (BLO 84-86 cars) the later ones are all 2 pole (HKP
87-89 cars) but I've heard they are interchangeable. Thanks for the =
link
looks very interesting.=20