[Diy_efi] Choice of labscope

Marcello A. Belloli mbelloli at speedymotorsports.com
Sat Feb 26 06:26:32 GMT 2005

Hello Everyone,
     AFter my fun with the eprom switcher project, I've decide to get a
new DSO.  I'm currently looking at a Tektronix 2232 DSO plus.  I have
no idea what the plus is for.  But it is a 100mhz 2 channel DSO with
RS232.  I asked the seller what the smallest time division was and he
said .05 Micro Seconds.  My current unit has 5 micro seconds as its
lowest setting.  And apparently cannot display the signals I was
looking at its lowest time division.  Does everyone think this will
be enough?  I'm looking for any comments.  I'm not sure how far I
need to go to get it done.
      My next project is using a pic18f542 at 40mhz.  Would this scope be
able to look at the signals created by this without problem?
      I've been thinking I should get a logic analyzer instead.  If it
bases its change in logic state the same as my hardware, I should be
able to see problems.  And they usually have many more I/O inputs
than a DSO.  I could look at all 18 pins on an 18pin pic at the same
time.  My big question is am I really going to need to do this, or
I'm just looking at signals once in a while when something isn't
going right?
     What does everyone think?

- Thanks,  Marcello