[Diy_efi] diesel emissions?

Phil Lamovie phil at injec.com
Mon Jan 10 16:42:00 GMT 2005

Hey Steve,

If budget is tight and time limited I would suggest that 10 to 15% lpg
fumigation will

1. Increase power (never heard of this being a deal breaker)

2. cut exhaust smoke to "non visible"

3 drop exhaust pollutants by 70 to 80%

4. decrease fuel consumption by about the same rate as the power increase

5. Save about the same in running costs

6. Cost about nothing, tanks are free, hot water for the vaporizers is
    available and you can fume directly into the duct after the air filter

The only limitation is "compression ignition"

I know that sounds strange when working with a diesel but these biggies
inject only a few degrees BTDC which is OK with LPG but at full power
the compression will "ignite" the lpg way too early if there is a combustible
A/F ratio.

You do not want to hear something with a 40 kilo (100 lbs.) piston knocking
You can feel it in your feet.

So look at the airflow rate and target the LPG for no more than say 25:1

With the std biggie running 25 or 30:1 A/F this leaves quite a lot of room to
play

We did a small project on a coal train that was hauled by 3 1500 HP locos.
It was a vapor only test and we only had budget for one of the three locos.
The LPG tanks were racked on the outside walkway giving us 1200 kilo
by mass (~= 2400 litres)

If your train has a lying down engine under the floor then it should have room
to undersling a few 300 litre automotive tanks.

hth

Phil