[Diy_efi] Re:555 Timers

Geoff Harrison geoff_h at smartchat.net.au
Wed Jan 26 04:36:20 GMT 2005

Tried an idea for getting timing pulses for timer controlled EFI today.
Used a ferrite toroidal core with 23 turns of 16 AWG wire out of the junk
box.
The B+ lead to the ign coil passed through the core once. The pulse I got
looks good. 200mV with fast rise time, falling exponentially back to zero
with slight ringing. The rise is due to the coil being energised, the
ringing I suspect
as the plug fires. The core has an OD of 1", ID 1/2" and 1/2" thick. Its
original
line of duty was AC mains filtering, so its only a low frequency type, and
should be
available from Tandy/Radio Shack and similar outlets.
Remember the pulse occurs way BTDC, when the points close, not open. It has
no
that the series
inductance would have an effect on Ign, its probably less than the wiring
back to battery.
If a bigger pulse is required, just increase the turns, i.e. 10mV per turn.
If the pulse is going the wrong way, just reverse the connections.
BTW, the test vehicle was wife's Suzuki 1300. She's worried I had it hooked
up
to the cro. I told her it needed defribulating.

Geoff Harrison IT Services.
Port Macquarie  NSW.
Tel 65827181
Mob 0401324639