[Diy_efi] wide band O2's

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Wed Jul 6 02:57:55 UTC 2005

Actual digital processing (not just digitizing) can be very useful in many
applications, getting rid of noise would be the simplest example.  Probably
knock detection is the most likely place to find real DP in the automotive
world.  The more sophisticated systems use DP to get rid of much of the
background noise.  The processors can deferential frequencies, amplitudes
and waveforms to achieve the results intended.  Ion Sensing Ignition would
be another application very intensive with digital processing.

I don't know what the commercial WB units are like but my DIY-WB has an
output that moves very quickly, my TwEECer samples somewhere around 10-15
times each second.  I do a very SIMPLE form of DP in that I graph the data
on spreadsheet, the results are represented in a very analog graph. Adam, I
don NOT claim to have digital processing.

A WB with real DP would have a processor actually following a very
mathematical process to give a very usable signal on the fly.  I'm not
saying the analog units aren't any good.  Remember, I'm the one that
suggested that people shouldn't get too wound up over the term "digital"
with relation to WB's.

I would be surprised if any of the $300-500 WB's out there use digital
processing of the level I'm referring to.  I don't think those kind of
processors are inexpensive.

So my main point is that some of these WB's that use the term "digital", are
they digitizing or actually digitally processing the signal?

Later,

Dan Nicoson